Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Powder Room - Part 1- Sneak Peek

So I've wanted to change out the wallpaper in my downstairs bathroom ever since I moved in 6 years ago.  I can't believe it has taken me this long to do it.  I found this gorgeous damask wallpaper here and as soon as I saw it I knew the colors were perfect for my bathroom floor.  Switching out the tile wasn't an option because it's in great condition and I don't hate it, so why spend the money and do all that work when I can make it look beautiful by accessorizing around it.  Don't mind this pic, I took it a while ago with my phone. 

Isn't it gorgeous? 

Here is what my bathroom looked like before, I almost forgot to take a "before" pic when I had already started peeling the wallpaper off. I had never liked this wallpaper, so it felt so good taking it down. 


I want to thank the people that lived in my condo before me because they took the time to seize the walls before they hung the wallpaper, which in turn made it SO easy for me to remove. {insert happy dance here} I used a wallpaper steamer to help remove it and it was a breeze.  I mean look at the size of this piece I was able to remove and check out the wall underneath, so clean! 


My plans included replacing the mirror with a medicine cabinet because we had no storage space. I also wanted to get a light fixture with a little bling to marry the striking wall paper design. Instead of wallpapering the entire bathroom I thought it would be a good idea to just do the top half and then install a chair rail and paint a bold dark gray color underneath.  Check out my style tile....  

I haven't accessorized it yet but I thought I'd give you a sneak peek of what the bathroom looks like with some of the changes....

                   





Sorry the lighting isn't the best, there is NO natural light close by.






I love how thick the chair rail is, it gives the room a more luxurious feel with the bold print on the walls. 




I love this medicine cabinet from Home Depot.  There is no handle you just push the mirror in and then it pops open.  I LOVE that it doesn't scream "Open me" so my guests won't be so inclined to opening it up.  Did you know 70% of all house guests WILL go through your medicine cabinets? Crazy right?




We now have so much space to store all of our first aid stuff for downstairs.  I can't wait to stock it up.




I'll be back with more pics once it's all dressed.  I have my eye on a new faucet, a bold accent color, some fun homemade artwork, a towel ring, and some other finishing touches.

Anyone hang any wallpaper lately?  How did it go? Did you remember to seize the walls before you hung it?  I love wallpaper but I do fear taking down someone else's work because you never know what you're getting yourself into.  If you are scared of wallpaper but you want the same look I suggest stenciling.  I stenciled an entire wall while I was 8 months prego and it wasn't the nightmare I thought it would be. It's GORG!!!  I'll blog about it soon...

11 comments:

  1. I LOVE that wallpaper! You never cease to amaze me Shush!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the Damask pattern! I have been looking for a large scale pattern for my poeder room also. LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am obsessed with the damask print! My heart beats for it =)

      Delete
  3. Love this! I'm akways sooo excited to see your finished product!! Can't wait for the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the light fixture! Where did you find it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The light fixture was definitely a splurge and I purchased it on sale at Bellacor.com {one of my favorite lighting websites}

      Here is the link: http://www.bellacor.com/productDetail/troy-b1922pn-collins-two-light-bath-fixture-323315.htm

      Delete
  5. We're going to have to start calling you Candace pretty soon. LOL Looks like a Candace Olsen inspiration. You are sooooooooooo talented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen! I dream of meeting Candice one day =)

      Delete
  6. This looks amazing. I really want to wallpaper my bathroom now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks sooooo rich and elegant. Looking forward to seeing the pop of color;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,

    So beautiful! Can you tell me how thick the chair rail is??

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...