Wednesday, October 24, 2012

DIY Tissue Box

I've always been so annoyed by the ugly paper boxes that tissues come in.  I like to keep them hidden away in a cabinet somewhere so I don't have to look at them standing out like a sore thumb.  I always feel bad when guests have to ask, "Hey, do you have any tissues?" I am sure they were probably thinking "WTF? Where the heck are her tissues?" I hate displaying them around the house because they are just not attractive to say the least. But they ARE a necessity so my goal was to create something that would help them fit right in to the world of cute accessories. Check out my new home for all of my boogie grabbers....


Here is what I did...

I went and bought this wood tissue box cover for $2 bucks at a local craft store.





Then I slapped some paint on it.  I chose a neutral dark gray color {Behr's Creek Bend} that will be versatile for the whole year. I wanted to be able to get my 2.00 money's worth...lol!  I am all about stretching a buck.  

Yes, this is a mason jar housing some touch up paint from another job. I am sure you are wondering why I keep my paint in there but I will explain.   I saw this post on one of my favorite blogs {IHeart Organizing} and I knew I had to do it.  The blog post was about finding a more effective way to store left over paint.  I will post about how I applied that idea to my world of living in a condo and having no storage space for crap like, PAINT!   Did I mention I LOVE to paint so can you imagine all of the paint cans that I have....yea it's no joke. So far, these mason jars are clutch for when I want to do small paint jobs or do a quick touch up on a wall. THANK YOU to Jen over at IHeart Organizing for her genius idea...

 

I purchased these chalkboard labels for my kitchen canisters a while back and I had a few left over so I decided to slap one on.  Can you say OBSESSED with labeling?  I have a small addiction...lol or maybe it's a BIG addiction considering I just labeled a tissue box!?!? Who does that?

THIS GIRL does....

I have a ton of red accents in the lower level of my condo so this red ribbon was just the right splash of color this tissue box needed.  




I can also switch out the ribbon for different holidays.  Hot pink for Valentine's day, Green for St. Patty's day, and of course Orange for Halloween....




I am in love with this tissue box. Sometimes I walk by it and grab a tissue for no reason....I'm such a nerd!  Now I feel comfortable leaving tissues out in the open and making them a part of my decor.  I actually want my guests to have to grab one, is that mean?  Anyone else have any fun tricks for sprucing up a tissue box or any other item you don't want messing up the decor in your home? Do tell.....


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...