Friday, November 2, 2012

DIY Dual Pocket Folders

I expressed my LOVE for my household binder in a recent post and it feels so good to finally have everything organized in one big HAPPY place. The binder includes so many genius ideas ranging from a password log to an auto maintenance log.  Jen over at IHeart Organizing has totally hooked me up and I am so grateful.  She even personalized this binder kit just for little ol' me.  I am in love with her blog and her cute bubbly personality. It is so much fun to get a glimpse into her WELL ORGANIZED life.  If you think I am OCD with labeling, wait until you see her project gallery.  

So now that I have my binder, can you guess what my next step is? Duh....labeling each section {the FUN part}.  I ran over to Target to snag some really cute dividers and I couldn't find anything that I liked.  I was so bummed because Target is usually my life saver and it wasn't coming through for me.  Before I left the school supply section I came across these colorful geometric file folders and I had a LIGHT BULB moment!  I immediately imagined doing the "typical" cut the folder in half and hole punch them and BOOM you have a divider with a tab for labeling too.  But there was still one problem, I needed folders for each section to house my stamps, greeting cards, receipts, bills, etc. 

After looking at the front inside pocket of my binder {see below} I knew I wanted a dual pocket folder for each section.  I hate when smaller items like stamps and gift cards are not visible in a normal size pocket because then I forget I have them and then they expire or I go and buy more...not cool! 

Not sure if you can tell from this photo but there are two clear pockets here. I stuck on of my folder scraps in the smaller pocket so you can see the divide.  I am sure you all are very familiar with what I am talking about, so I apologize for dumbing it down!  


When I slid that scrap piece into that little pocket that's when it hit me, "Why don't I just make my own folders and save some money!" {Genius right?} So here is what I did....

I didn't cut my folders in half like I had originally planned on. Instead I just cut this top piece off...



Then I stapled the open sides of the folder together with one staple on the bottom and one on the left...


To keep it colorful I grabbed another folder and I cut this small piece to serve as the bottom pocket of my dual pocket folder....

I added two staples to the bottom to make sure no papers slide out. 

And then another staple to the left and right side of the folder. 

It sounds like a lot of staples but they are not noticeable at all.  The geometric print allows the staples to blend right in.  After you put your stapler away it's time to whip out your 3 hole punch get ready to call it a day....



These were exactly what I wanted and needed.  I am so happy that I didn't just go out and spend more money on an unnecessary item. After I typed that I immediately thought about my grande plan to start living more simply...does that makes sense?  I want to appreciate the things I love instead of the things I have.  Stay tuned for a future post about living a simple uncluttered life, getting out of debt and keeping it that way. Should be another light bulb moment for all of us considering the debt our nation is in.  {Fun Fact: not really fun but interesting- 70% of families are living paycheck to paycheck, even wealthy families.  There is something majorly wrong there.}


Back to my DIY folders! After I made this one dual pocket folder I got crackin and made a bunch more. I am digging the orange and blue together it reminds me of the nursery I did for my baby boy who ended up being a girl. Yes you read that correctly, the technician got it all wrong at my 19 week appointment and we didn't find out until my 39 week appt. SO CRAZY! You can see that post here. 




Next and last stop is labeling each folder with these cute labels that came with the folders.  I did have the option to print on these labels with a website they included but I don't mind my handwriting. As I am saying that I am regretting not using some really cute fonts I recently found on the www.




I am so stinkin happy with how this went down.  A couple months ago I didn't have a damn thing organized, well I WAS organized but I had all of these items scattered all over the place.  Now I can grab this binder and search for insurance numbers, forgotten passwords, stocked up birthday cards, budget info, and the best of all, I can store any kind of important paperwork in these NEW handmade folders and they will not be lost or forgotten about. {and they look GORG}

Now back to you! Are any of you stressing about keeping track of your finances, family birthdays, gift giving expenses, your budget {if there is one?} and the maintenance of your home? What are you doing to get a grip on it all?

If you are reading this and feeling overwhelmed because you are NOT organized or you ARE organized but you want to get it all in one place then go to Jennifer Jones' Etsy Store and purchase her binder kit.  It is only $40 and it is WELL worth the money. She will personalize it just for you and your family! She's cool like that.


HOUSEHOLD BINDER = ORGANIZED LIVING = MORE FAMILY TIME = PEACE OF MIND 
Everybody Wins!

Over and Out
  

13 comments:

  1. I love how you have those "boom the lightbulb went off" moments. I'm still waiting to have one of those when it comes to being creative! You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Genius girl! Love the geo print!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so awesome!! Do you still use filing cabinets for anything, or did you switch it all to your binder system?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I still use one filing cabinet to house my paystubs, my condo information, medical info, user manuals, warranty info, etc. I did switch to paperless for all of my bills and then I keep a folder in my email that houses EVERY bill I receive by email and then I empty that folder every 6 months.

      I can't wait to buy a house and have my OWN office, although I do have a pretty sweet set up in my living room. I'll blog about that soon =)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Shush girl

      Delete
  4. So cute and colorful! I love this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How creative! Did you make the coupon and receipt envelopes you have in the binder? I am looking to do something similar for my coupons as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I laminated an envelope covered in scrapbook paper. They are really cute and I get lots of compliments from people while I'm out shopping. I got the idea from another blog!

      Delete
  6. I just found your blog thru IHeart Organizing! Love this idea! I have made my recipe binder and coupon binder but haven't done my household binder yet! I am now your newest follower!

    I have been slowly starting to reorganize, with the help of IHeart Organizing. Feel free to check out my post!
    http://mrskstreasurehunt.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be checking out your blog! Thanks for stopping by! I love my binder, I recommend it to EVERYONE.

      Delete
  7. Furthermore, additionally it is the best device for shaping the human body thanks to its performance in burning more fats, firming the muscle tissue
    and earning them stronger.

    Look into my page; Reporte abuso

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful post. Always inspiring to see how other people do it!i like this idea.
    Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's really astonishing idea..
    But you can try online printing service to create presentation folders for your official work and dealing the business clients or giving to a presentation for the contract. We are certainly the right option for it to continue your deals.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...