Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mother's Day Gift For My Sister

I have been dying to share this DIY Mother's Day Gift but I didn't want to spoil the surprise for my sister.  I wanted to give her something special for all of the support she has given me and her family in the past year.  I really admire her as a mother and she is the one who inspired me to finally have kids.  She has grieved just as much as I have over the loss of my Micah but she has ALSO loved her own kids a ton more because of my situation.  I just want her to know how much I love her as a sister and EVEN MORE as a friend. I wouldn't have survived this year if it wasn't for her and her adorable kids making me smile EVERY day. 


So here is what I came up with:  I printed out a cute graphic that I made to look like a chalkboard with one of my favorite sayings on it and I bought the rest from Jo Ann Fabrics. I picked up an unfinished piece of wood in a really cute ornate shape (which I love), some cute girly ribbon, decorative nails and I printed a really old photo of the two of us.  





I began staining the wood and it went on so smooth. 


After 3 coats, it was the exact color I was looking for...


Next step was attaching my artwork to the wood. I used decorative nails to pin down the paper.  Then I hot glued the ribbon and a cute pink button to really give the board a feminine touch. 


Last touch was adhering a precious photo of the two us driving around town in our sweet ride. ( I used a spray adhesive) We always did enjoy each other's company and STILL DO! (even though we went through a rough patch in our teen years where we fought CONSTANTLY...who didn't?!?!)


Here it is all finished. I also added some hardware to the back of the wood so she can hang it anywhere she would like. 




This was such a fun DIY project and what makes it even better is I KNOW my sister appreciates it.  She is a phenomenal mom and an even better friend/sister =) Love you HOL! 


Happy Mother's Day to all of you Momma's out there!  
I hope your day is full of happiness and love. 

For anyone who is struggling because they can't be with their SPECIAL loved one today, I will pray for peace within your hearts.
<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...