As you all know I have been through some crazy life changes in the past year and the shit just hasn't stopped. Some days I feel so helpless and lost that I don't even know what to do with myself. Now that school is out and summer is here, I decided to take control of some things in my life that make me INCREDIBLY happy. For starters, I wanted to make some changes to a space where I spend most of my time: my living room. It is a really awesome room and I am in love with so many things about it but the look is definitely NOT ME! I have always been a colorful person inside and out and this space does not reflect that. So when my HGTV mag arrived in the mail a couple weeks ago it was instant inspiration for me to do an accessory swap.
Inspiration colors: hot pink, teal, green, yellow
When doing an accessory swap, I would first recommend walking around your house and gathering any accessories that you think might work well in your new space. You'd be surprised at how much you can repurpose/ reuse and believe me your
husbands wallets will thank you later.
Back to my plan: I want to simply change out all of my pillows, lamps, area rug and some table top accessories (on my desk and the tv console). SUPER CHEAP process!
Alright let's get started so you can see all of the changes I made.
Here is what my living room looked like before.
Nice and neutral with some pops of red! So sick of red at this point =(
Here is what my living room usually looks like on a daily basis.
Here is the gorgeous area rug that I am selling. I really wish I had a bigger house so I could use it somewhere else. Hate to get rid of this. Comment on this post if you are interested in buying.
Am I driving you nuts not showing you what my new room looks like yet?!?!
Here we go....
BORING AND SAFE
BOLD, ALIVE, and ALL ME
Not 100% sure that this rug is the right choice but I am loving it for the time being. I am feeling greens lately so I will be back to blog about some other options and I will probably take a poll to see what you all think I should pick.
Alright now that you've seen the changes let's talk about what I actually purchased, stole from other rooms, rearranged, and reused.
1. Green side table: I stole this from my master bedroom and I love it much much better next to my sectional. (it's a little high but I'll get over it)
2. Lamp: I also stole the pair from my master bedroom. They are so fresh and clean looking.
3. Painting: I purchased this from Homegoods for 24 bucks. (my favorite piece in the whole space)
5. Teal frame: I stole it from my upstairs hallway. I blogged about it here when I stenciled an entire wall.
6. "&" sign, clock, and bowl with sand: all rearranged. I already had these in the space.
7. Foyer rug: purchased at Target for $14.
8. Sunburst mirror: purchased at Homegoods for $40
9. Vase on coffee table: purchased from Homegoods, on sale for $10.
10. Pillows: Target- floral print 14.99 and yellow diamond print (Nate Berkus= I love you) on sale 9.99
Homegoods- black chevron, yellow chevron, teal, green geometric (all 16.99 each)
11. Area rug: purchased at overstock.com for $299(on sale because no one would ever buy hot pink...LOL)
12. Bird accessory: purchased at Homegoods for $7
Yes, you did see a huge jar of washi tape on my desk. My obsession is no joke!
That wraps up my ACCESSORY SWAP! I spent a total of $ 483.94 and that small amount COMPLETELY transformed my space. I am one happy clam =) There is nothing like waking up to this EVERY single morning...
I should have done this a LONG time ago. Just like everyone else, I feared depleting my bank account and that is exactly what held me back from changing things. I hate that I let money fears get in the way of my happiness. There is always a WAY folks, we just have to use our noggins! I can honestly say I got a whole new room for under 500 buckaroos....F' yea!
P.s. I am still not completely sold on that hot pink area rug so I will be back with a couple other options.
Time to relax....