Friday, October 18, 2013

DIY Pencil Holder For My Classroom

It all started with this salsa jar.  Most people immediately think of delicious tostitos chips crunching away in their mouths when they see this jar, I immediately thought... "ooooo check out the shape on that jar. Hmmm....wonder what I could use that for and how could I make it look cute!?!?" LOL... 

We all know my brain is not like the rest and I wouldn't change it for the world. Nuff said!


I had been wanting to wrap a vase of some sort in jute for a while now but I didn't want to use any of the vases I had around my house(bec I liked them too much) and I didn't want to just go out and buy one for no good reason....duh the purpose is to REUSE.   So when I saw this jar I thought this would be a perfect little project to test it out. I had originally planned on using it as a flower vase when I started the project and then midway through I thought it would be the perfect utensil holder for my desk in my classroom. Here is the finish product. I love how it turned out...


First step was to eat the rest of the salsa with handfuls of chips clean it out and peel off the label with a little goo gone...love that stuff! 


Then I pulled out my jute and my hot glue gun and I got started.  





I only hot glued the starting piece a the top, then again halfway down, and then I glued the last few rows at the very bottom to keep things neat and tidy. 




This was literally a 5 min project and it cost me nothing, due to the fact that I craft all the time so I already had the jute and the glue in the house. I also added a burlap bow that I stole from the wreath on my front door and I glued some ribbon on for a pop of color to match the tray on my desk. 


 Instant cuteness!!!!

 Now if you come to my house, WATCH OUT.... EVERYTHING will be wrapped in jute! 


And of course a couple days later I saw this gem in JoAnn's...


GOOD STUFF!!!  I like mine better and I saved myself $16.99... money in the bank!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...